Wednesday, July 16, 2014

[diy] Spiked Collar Necklace

I am soooo late to the collar necklace train. When these first became popular, I started to DIY one, but just never followed through, and I don't even know what happened to that half finished project. Oops! But, the other day, while browsing WGWT, I came across this piece from Dollskill and was re-inspired to create a collar necklace with materials I already had on hand.
 
Inspired by: Faubourg du Temple Odette Spike Collar, from Dollskill

You will need:
Clear plastic vinyl 
(or black felt, if you want to stick closer to the original!)
Screw-in Spike Studs
Silver Chain
E-6000
Hole Punch
Ribbon
Scissors

First, lay out your vinyl and cut out a peter pan collar shape. I used THIS pattern. 
Using a Sharpie, mark out where you want your studs to go. Use a small hole punch or carefully use a nail to push through the plastic and punch small holes where you wan to screw your spikes in. 
Using a regular sized hole punch, punch a hole on either side of the tips of the collar. Be sure not to punch the holes too close to the edge of the plastic!
Push your spikes through your collar and screw on the backs. This part takes a while! You may need a tiny screwdriver to secure your studs.
Lay your collar flat and apply a thin line of E-6000 glue around the edge of your collar. Let the glue get tacky, and then push your silver chain flat into the glue to create a chain border all the way around.
After the glue has dried completely, loop ribbon through the holes in the ends of your collar. Tie these ribbons in a bow to wear your collar like a necklace.




This spiked collar would be perfect to toughen up a little black dress, or dress up a band tee and jeans. Did you create a project using this tutorial? How do you wear collar necklaces? Leave me a comment or tweet a photo to @holehx!

*This was supposed to be a post about the new website What Goes With This, but I honestly couldn't figure out how to use it and wasn't really feelin any of the beta clothes anyway. I did get inspired by this piece on their website while I was trying to figure it out, so this is just kind of what happened. And here's my WGWT blogger page if you'd like to check it out and maybe teach me. Hahaaaa okay. Oops.

No comments:

Post a Comment